Find My Student Loan

Use this comparison tool to find the right international student loan, study abroad loan, or foreign-enrolled loan for you.

Study Abroad Loans

Loan Details | Frequently Asked Questions | Apply Online


1. Who is eligible for a study abroad loan?

  • US citizens or permanent residents enrolled at an eligible school overseas
  • US citizens or permanent residents studying overseas through a school sponsored program where the school is listed as an eligible school
  • Citizen of certain Pacific islands (the freely associated states)
  • Non-US citizen attending an approved eligible school in the US with a creditworthy US cosigner

Check out the list of eligible schools, or use the comparison tool above, to see whether your school has been approved.

2. What loans are available to students studying abroad?

We have designed the first-ever loan comparison tool designed with international students in mind. Simply choose your school and citizenship to see the list of eligible lenders. Students can compare basic lender terms and select the loan that works best for them. The loan application can be completed right online and initial approval is typically within 6 weeks. To get started, simply use the study abroad loan comparison tool above.

3. What if I plan to study abroad through a program that is not affiliated with a college or university?

If you plan to study abroad through an independent program that is not affiliated with a college or university, we do not have any loans available. Our best recommendation would be to contact your program directly about financial aid options.

4. Is there a minimum or maximum loan amount that I can apply for

All student loans must be certified by your college or university. You can borrow the total cost of your education minus any financial aid, as determined by your school. To determine your maximum loan amount, or what can be included in your loan, you will need to contact your school's financial aid office.

5. Are there application deadlines?

No. You may apply for a Study Abroad Loan at any time.

6. If I obtained a loan last year, can I get another loan again this year?

Yes. You can reapply each academic term for a loan.

7. What if my school is not listed as an eligible school?

If your school is not listed on our eligible school list, then you will not be able to apply for our loans. Check our International Scholarships or for more information on other financial aid options such as scholarships, grants, and fellowships that you may be eligible for.

8. What if no lenders appear on my comparison tool?

Unfortunately if there are no lenders that appear after you do the comparison tool, then we do not have a loan program for the school. Our best advice is to contact your school, as they should know if there are any loan programs available to their international students.

9. Is a cosigner required in order to apply for a loan?

Non-US citizens/permanent residents studying in the US are required to have a US cosigner in most cases. There are a few select instances, depending on the lender and the situation of the borrower, that a co-signer is not required. This cosigner must be a US citizen or permanent resident with good credit and who has lived in the US for the past two years.

While a cosigner is not automatically required for US citizens, applicants with a creditworthy cosigner can increase their chance of passing the credit review and receiving a lower interest rate.

10. What is the role of a cosigner?

A cosigner for a Study Abroad Loan is agreeing to jointly apply for credit and be liable for the requested loan. Your cosigner will need to complete a separate application that will be reviewed by the lender. The documents requested and the review process varies by lender.

11. Where can I find a cosigner?

Most cosigners are friends or family members that agree to back the student's loan in case they are unable to make the payments. The cosigner must be a creditworthy US citizen or permanent resident who has lived in the US for at least 2 years.

12. I'm a non-US citizen applying for a student loan for the US, but I don't have a cosigner. Can I still apply?

Unfortunately all of our Study Abroad Loans require non-US citizens studying in the US to have a US cosigner. The cosigner must be a creditworthy US citizen or permanent resident who has lived in the US for at least 2 years. Non-US citizens cannot serve as cosigners on our loans.